I have to admit, I can’t stop watching the Stranger Things season 2 trailer. There’s something about the use of ‘Thriller’ mixed with the Stranger Things theme tune and the way it builds excitement that makes me want to watch it again and again. In the meantime, however, I’ve compiled some books and other things (not just books!) to get people feeling that eighties creepy sci-fi horror vibe.
Things to read/watch/listen to before October 31st:
- Top of the list has to be something by Stephen King. It is the obvious choice seeing as there’s a new film version out soon and it is about a group of kids chasing something dangerous, but the book is also incredibly long and very, very weird in parts. Instead, try Firestarter (for Eleven), Cujo (tense and scary), or Insomnia (small town vibe, plus the Fates).
- The Book of Luce by L. R. Fredericks features MK ULTRA type experimentation, just like in Stranger Things, and also some messiah rock star stuff.
- Watch The Lost Boys for the 80s trash fun horror thing, particularly after seeing the shots of a teenager party in the Stranger Things trailer.
- Put on the ‘San Junipero’ episode of Black Mirror for 80s aesthetic sci-fi and similarly relevant use of 80s songs matching up to the story.
- Listen to this mini Stranger Things playlist I’ve just compiled from my collection of 80s tracks: ‘She’s In Parties’ – Bauhaus; ‘Somebody’s Watching Me’ – Rockwell; ‘Disappear’ – INXS; ‘Subculture’ – New Order; ‘A Forest’ – The Cure; ‘The Killing Moon’ – Echo & the Bunnymen; ‘Disorder’ – Joy Division; ’Other Voices’ – The Cure; ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’ – Metallica.